How to apply?


Depending on your nationality, level of studies or type of higher education institution, registration process may be different.

Parcoursup - to apply for the 1st year - undergraduate study programme

Parcoursup is the French platform dedicated to registrations at 1st year of undergraduate programme.

You must apply through Parcoursup if:

  • You are a European student who want to study in 1st year;
  • You are a non-European student who passed a French baccalauréat in AEFE (“Agence Française pour l’Enseignement Français à l’Etranger”) high school and you want to join the French higher education system in 1st year;
  • You are a non-European student who want to register in 1st year in an institution excluded from the DAP (“Demande d'Admission Préalable”, Preliminary request for admission) process. It is generally the case for BTS, IUTs (Instituts Universitaires Technologiques), STS (Sections de Techniciens Supérieur) preparatory classes to “grandes écoles” (CPGE)

Agenda of the Parcoursup process to join the higher education system in 2018-2019

Start of registrations: January 22, 2018
Deadline to enter your academic choices: March 13, 2018, 6 pm
Completion of your file and validation of your choices: March 31, 2018
Reception and validation of admission offers: May 22 to September 21, 2018

The Preliminary request for admission (DAP)

The preliminary request for admission (DAP - Dossier d'Admission Préalable) is requested to all foreign students wishing to enrol in the first year of an undergraduate programme at university or in school of architecture. It is mandatory for the non-European foreign students.

In order to get the file, you need to contact the department of cooperation and cultural action at the French Embassy in Ireland (contact: The white files ("dossier blanc") are for enrolment in first-year university; the yellow for first year in a school of architecture.

Complete the procedure as soon as possible. Ideally, in November of the year preceding the academic year you are applying for.



Registering at other level of studies?

European Students

If you want to register at the level L2, L3 (2nd and 3rd year of an undergraduate programme) or Master / PhD level, you have to contact directly the institution.
Pay attention that the deadline and the requested documents are specific per institution - be aware of the procedure around February.

Non-European students residing in Europe

Non-European students residing in Europe and who wish to continue studying in France in the second or third year of a Bachelor's, Master's or Doctorate degree must directly contact the higher education institutions as well.

If your application is accepted, you will receive a document confirming your admission. From that point on, you will be able to undertake the procedures with the French Consulate in your country of residence to obtain a visa. Ask for a student visa if your admission is for a Bachelor's or Master's programme. If it is for a doctoral programme, you can ask for a talent passport visa.