Arrival Airport
Étudiants, Chercheurs
Pays concerné(s)

You are now sure you will be studying in France from September. Congratulations!

Here you will find everything you need to do and plan on, step by step, to properly prepare for your arrival in France.


Before you arrive in France, start looking for accommodation as soon as possible. You can complete some procedures from abroad. If you are planning on looking for housing when you arrive in France, remember to reserve temporary stay until you can find your "Home Sweet Home".

Student Accommodation



If you are not a European citizen, complete the procedures to obtain your visa at least one month before your arrival in France. You can submit your request to the French Consulate or Embassy in your country of residence as soon as you receive proof of acceptance from your institute.

If you are a European Union national, or a national from the European Economic Area or from Switzerland, you do not need a visa to study in France.



visa circulation avion

Think about your budget and check that you will be able to withdraw money using your bank card when you arrive in France. If this is not the case, plan on taking cash. Later you will be able to open a bank account in France.


  1. Inform your host institution and your landlord, if you have one, about your arrival.

  2. Pack your bags, making sure to take clothing adapted to all types of weather.

  3. Finally, prepare the documents you will need for your trip and for setting up, meaning:

Identity documents:

  • identity card;
  • passport;
  • birth certificate (a translated and certified copy + original);
  • driving licence (if you are planning on driving in France).

Documents relating to your studies in France:

  • proof of enrollment in your institution;
  • proof of language proficiency (French, English, etc.);
  • previous degrees (a translated and certified copy + original).

Documents relating to your trip:

  • your train or plane tickets;
  • your itinerary from the airport.

Documents relating to setting up:

  • the printed reservation of your accommodation;
  • the documents required for taking up residence in the lodging;
  • the list and contact information for your contacts in France.

Don't hesitate to scan or photograph your documents and email them to yourself or save them in the Cloud. You will then always have easy access to them. Don't forget to also take your mobile phone, a bank card you can use to withdraw money in France and the original or a copy of your Health Record Booklet.


  1. At the airport, you will find ATM. If necessary, use them to withdraw cash.
  2. If you must take public transport to get to your place, buy your travel passes from an automatic machine or from a teller. Payment may be made by bank card.
  3. Get back to your housing and complete the formalities required for you to move in.
  4. Unpack your bags, relax a bit and look around to settle into your new quarters.


étudiante tour eiffel


As soon as you arrive, make sure to complete the following 6 important steps. Make sure to take care of it immediately.

Pay your student contribution for campus and student life

This is the first step to complete, before any other. It is mandatory to register in your higher education institution. You can even complete this step before coming to France.

The contribution to campus and student life costs 90 euros per year. You can pay it onlineat You can also pay in cash at your local post office.

Our tip: make sure to keep the proof generated after your payment. You will have to provide it during your registration in your institution.

The contribution to campus and student life is paid to the CROUS to facilitate the reception of students and their social, health, cultural and sports follow-up. It also finances information activities related to health.

All students registered in an initial training in a French higher education institution, whether public or private, must pay this contribution, to the exception of students:

  • Holders of a scholarship on social criteria managed by the CROUS or holders of a scholarship from a region
  • With the status of refugee or subsidiary protection
  • Registered as asylum seeker and entitled to stay on the French territory.

For all other cases, even students exempt of payment of the Contribution to Campus and Student Life (CVEC) must login to the website to validate their exemption and receive a certification allowing them to register to their higher education institution.



Good to knowstudents registered in a BTS course are not subject to the CVEC, because they are registered in a secondary school and not a higher education institution.They don't need to login to the website; no certification will be asked of them.

Registration in your higher education institution

Go to the international relations department of your host institutionWhile there, get the information you will need to the study in France. Then go to the enrollment department to finalise your enrollment, pay your tuition fees and pick up your student card.

Open a dedicated bank account

To open a bank account, you will need to provide a proof of address. if you are still waiting for your final address, you may use the address of the department of international relations of your institution. You will also have to bring an ID and a registration certificate (or your student card).

Don't hesitate to compare bank offers on their website. Some banks have special offers for students.

When opening a bank account, you will receive a credit card, a cheque book and banking information ("RIB") that will be very useful in your daily life (reimbursement of health spending, payment of phone bills, etc.).​


ouvrir compte bancaire

Validate your residence permit

If you came to France with a visa needing validation, complete these steps in the first days after your arrival.

So far, and before the process changes, you must send your form to the Office français pour l’immigration et l’intégration (OFII, French Office for Immigration and Integration) to validate your residence permit (July 2018). You will then receive a summons to go to the OFII.

You will need a method of payment to pay the OFII tax and the visa rights ranging from 58 to 241 euros. You can pay this in tax stamps. You can purchase tax stamps at a tobacconist or in digital version on the website

During your meeting with the OFII, make sure to bring the following justifications:

  • convocation;
  • passport;
  • proof of address;
  • ID photograph.

Register to health care

  • European students

If you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), you don't need to register to the French social security. You can use your card and receive care in France. This card is issued in your country.

Students included are those with the nationality of a country of the European Union, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.

  • Non-European students arriving in France for the academic year 2018 or later

You must register to the French general social security system. Registration is done online by logging in to the website of the health insurance dedicated to foreign students: (website to be opened soon).

Registration is free. You must complete your registration immediately after the registration to your institution and after the validation of your visa.

​This is a mandatory step. You will be issued a "carte vitale" (social security card) to benefit from reimbursments. You can also subscribe to a healthcare mutual for a better reimbursement of your medical expense.


ameli santé assurance maladie

Our tip: Check out our article about "health, healthcare and healthcare mutuals" for additional details about this process.